42 CFR § 498.2 - Definitions.
As used in this part -
Affected party means a provider, prospective provider, supplier, prospective supplier, or practitioner that is affected by an initial determination or by any subsequent determination or decision issued under this part, and “party” means the affected party or CMS, as appropriate. For provider or supplier enrollment appeals, an affected party includes CMS or a CMS contractor.
ALJ stands for Administrative Law Judge.
OIG stands for the Department's Office of the Inspector General.
Prospective provider means any of the entities specified in the definition of provider under this section that seeks to be approved for coverage of its services by Medicare or to have any facility or organization determined to be a department of the provider or provider-based entity under § 413.65 of this chapter.
Prospective supplier means any of the listed entities specified in the definition of supplier in this section that seek to be approved for coverage of its services by Medicare.
Provider means any of the following:
(1) Any of the following entities that have in effect an agreement to participate in Medicare:
(ii) Transplant center.
(iii) Critical access hospital (CAH).
(iv) Skilled nursing facility (SNF).
(v) Comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facility (CORF).
(vi) Home health agency (HHA).
(viii) Religious nonmedical health care institution (RNHCI).
(2) Any of the following entities that have in effect an agreement to participate in Medicare but only to furnish outpatient physical therapy or outpatient speech pathology services.
(ii) Rehabilitation agency.
(iii) Public health agency.
Supplier means any of the following entities that have in effect an agreement to participate in Medicare:
(1) An independent laboratory.
(3) Ambulance service provider.
(4) Independent diagnostic testing facility.
(6) Physical therapist in independent practice.
(7) Supplier of portable X-ray services.
(8) Rural health clinic (RHC).
(9) Federally qualified health center (FQHC).
(10) Ambulatory surgical center (ASC).
(12) End-stage renal disease (ESRD) treatment facility that is approved by CMS as meeting the conditions for coverage of its services.
(13) A site approved by CMS to furnish intensive cardiac rehabilitation services.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.