46 U.S. Code § 9102 - Standards for tank vessels of the United States
prev | next
(a) The Secretary shall prescribe standards for the manning of each vessel of the United States to which chapter 37 of this title applies, related to the duties, qualifications, and training of the officers and crew of the vessel, including standards related to—
(1) instruction in vessel and cargo handling and vessel navigation under normal operating conditions in coastal and confined waters and on the high seas;
(2) instruction in vessel and cargo handling and vessel navigation in emergency situations and under marine casualty or potential casualty conditions;
(4) qualifications for licenses by use of simulators for the practice or demonstration of marine-oriented skills;
(6) periodic retraining and special training for upgrading positions, changing vessel type or size, or assuming new responsibilities;
(7) decisions about licenses and certificates, conditions of licensing or certification, and periods of licensing or certification by reference to experience, amount of training completed, and regular performance testing; and
(b) The Secretary shall waive the application of criteria required by subsection (a)(5) of this section for an individual having a license or certificate (including a renewal of the license or certificate) in effect on October 17, 1978. When the waiver is granted, the Secretary may prescribe conditions for the license or certificate and its renewal, as the Secretary decides are reasonable and necessary for the safety of a vessel on which the individual may be employed.
Source(Pub. L. 98–89, Aug. 26, 1983, 97 Stat. 556; Pub. L. 101–380, title IV, § 4114(d),Aug. 18, 1990, 104 Stat. 517.)
|Revised section||Source section (U.S. Code)|
Section 9102 prescribes manning standards for United States tank vessels.
Subsection (a) requires the Secretary of Transportation to prescribe certain standards for the duties, qualifications, and training of the officers and crew of United States tank vessels.
Subsection (b) provides for a waiver of any health and physical fitness criteria prescribed under subsection (a).
1990—Par. (8). Pub. L. 101–380added par. (8).
Effective Date of 1990 Amendment