17 CFR 40.5 - Voluntary submission of rules for Commission review and approval.
(a)Request for approval of rules. Pursuant to Section 5c(c) of the Act, a registered entity may request that the Commission approve a new rule, rule amendment or dormant rule prior to implementation of the rule, or if the request was initially submitted under §§ 40.2 or 40.6 of this part, subsequent to implementation of the rule. A request for approval shall:
(2) Include a copy of the submission cover sheet in accordance with the instructions in appendix D to this part;
(3) Set forth the text of the rule or rule amendment (in the case of a rule amendment, deletions and additions must be indicated);
(4) Describe the proposed effective date of the rule or rule amendment and any action taken or anticipated to be taken to adopt the proposed rule by the registered entity or by its governing board or by any committee thereof, and cite the rules of the entity that authorize the adoption of the proposed rule;
(5) Provide an explanation and analysis of the operation, purpose, and effect of the proposed rule or rule amendment and its compliance with applicable provisions of the Act, including core principles, and the Commission's regulations thereunder, including, as applicable, a description of the anticipated benefits to market participants or others, any potential anticompetitive effects on market participants or others, and how the rule fits into the registered entity's framework of self-regulation;
(6) Certify that the registered entity posted a notice of pending rule with the Commission and a copy of the submission, concurrent with the filing of a submission with the Commission, on the registered entity's Web site. Information which the registered entity seeks to keep confidential may be redacted from the documents published on the registered entity's Web site but must be republished consistent with any determination made pursuant to § 40.8(c)(4);
(7) Provide additional information which may be beneficial to the Commission in analyzing the new rule or rule amendment. If a proposed rule affects, directly or indirectly, the application of any other rule of the registered entity, the pertinent text of any such rule must be set forth and the anticipated effect described;
(8) Provide a brief explanation of any substantive opposing views expressed to the registered entity by governing board or committee members, members of the entity or market participants that were not incorporated into the rule, or a statement that no such opposing views were expressed;
(9) Identify any Commission regulation that the Commission may need to amend, or sections of the Act or the Commission's regulations that the Commission may need to interpret, in order to approve the new rule or rule amendment. To the extent that such an amendment or interpretation is necessary to accommodate a new rule or rule amendment, the submission should include a reasoned analysis supporting the amendment to the Commission's regulation or the interpretation;
(10) As appropriate, include a request for confidential treatment as permitted under the procedures of § 40.8.
(c)Forty-five day review.
(1) All rules submitted for Commission approval under paragraph (a) of this section shall be deemed approved by the Commission under section 5c(c) of the Act 45 days after receipt by the Commission, or at the conclusion of such extended period as provided under paragraph (d) of this section, unless the registered entity is notified otherwise within the applicable period, if:
(i) The submission complies with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section;
(ii) The registered entity does not amend the proposed rule or supplement the submission, except as requested by the Commission, during the pendency of the review period other than for correction of typographical errors, renumbering or other non-substantive revisions. Any amendment or supplementation not requested by the Commission will be treated as the submission of a new filing under this section.
(1) An additional 45 days, if the proposed rule raises novel or complex issues that require additional time for review or is of major economic significance, the submission is incomplete or the requestor does not respond completely to Commission questions in a timely manner, in which case the Commission shall notify the submitting registered entity within the initial forty-five day review period and shall briefly describe the nature of the specific issues for which additional time for review shall be required; or
(e)Notice of non-approval. Any time during its review under this section, the Commission may notify the registered entity that it will not, or is unable to, approve the new rule or rule amendment. This notification will briefly specify the nature of the issues raised and the specific provision of the Act or the Commission's regulations, including the form or content requirements of this section, with which the new rule or rule amendment is inconsistent or appears to be inconsistent with the Act or the Commission's regulations.
(f)Effect of non-approval.
(1) Notification to a registered entity under paragraph (e) of this section does not prevent the registered entity from subsequently submitting a revised version of the proposed rule or rule amendment for Commission review and approval or from submitting the new rule or rule amendment as initially proposed in a supplemented submission; the revised submission will be reviewed without prejudice.
(2) Notification to a registered entity under paragraph (e) of this section of the Commission's determination not to approve a proposed rule or rule amendment of a registered entity shall be presumptive evidence that the entity may not truthfully certify that the same, or substantially the same, proposed rule or rule amendment under § 40.6(a) of this section.
(g)Expedited approval. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (c) of this section, changes to a proposed rule or a rule amendment, including changes to terms and conditions of a product that are consistent with the Act and Commission regulations and with standards approved or established by the Commission may be approved by the Commission at such time and under such conditions as the Commission shall specify in the written notification, provided, however, that the Commission may, at any time, alter or revoke the applicability of such a notice to any particular product or rule amendment.
Title 17 published on 14-Apr-2017 03:30
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 17 CFR Part 40 after this date.
- 17 CFR 49.8 — Procedures for Implementing Registered Swap Data Repository Rules.
- 17 CFR 40.6 — Self-Certification of Rules.
- 17 CFR 41.24 — Rule Amendments to Security Futures Products.
- 17 CFR 39.15 — Treatment of Funds.
- 17 CFR 40.7 — Delegations.
- 17 CFR 41.23 — Listing of Security Futures Products for Trading.
- 17 CFR 40.8 — Availability of Public Information.
- 17 CFR 39.4 — Procedures for Implementing Derivatives Clearing Organization Rules and Clearing New Products.
- 17 CFR 40.5 — Voluntary Submission of Rules for Commission Review and Approval.
- 17 CFR 38.11 — Trade Execution Compliance Schedule.
- 17 CFR 41.49 — Filing Proposed Margin Rule Changes With the Commission.
- 17 CFR 38.4 — Procedures for Listing Products and Implementing Contract Market Rules.
- 17 CFR 40.4 — Amendments to Terms or Conditions of Enumerated Agricultural Products.
- 17 CFR 37.12 — Trade Execution Compliance Schedule.
- 17 CFR 41.27 — Prohibition of Dual Trading in Security Futures Products by Floor Brokers.