49 CFR 173.4 - Small quantities for highway and rail.
(a) When transported domestically by highway or rail in conformance with this section, quantities of Division 2.2 (except aerosols with no subsidiary hazard), Class 3, Division 4.1, Division 4.2 (PG II and III), Division 4.3 (PG II and III), Division 5.1, Division 5.2, Division 6.1, Class 7, Class 8, and Class 9 materials are not subject to any other requirements when -
(1) The maximum quantity of material per inner receptacle or article is limited to -
(ii) Thirty (30) g (1 ounce) for authorized solid materials;
(v) Thirty (30) mL water capacity (1.8 cubic inches) for authorized Division 2.2 materials.
(2) With the exception of temperature sensing devices, each inner receptacle:
(i) Is not liquid-full at 55 °C (131 °F), and
(ii) Is constructed of plastic having a minimum thickness of no less than 0.2 mm (0.008 inch), or earthenware, glass, or metal;
(i) Will not react chemically with the material, and
(ii) Is capable of absorbing the entire contents (if a liquid) of the receptacle;
(6) The completed package, as demonstrated by prototype testing, is capable of sustaining -
(i) Each of the following free drops made from a height of 1.8 m (5.9 feet) directly onto a solid unyielding surface without breakage or leakage from any inner receptacle and without a substantial reduction in the effectiveness of the package:
(A) One drop flat on bottom;
(B) One drop flat on top;
(C) One drop flat on the long side;
(D) One drop flat on the short side; and
(E) One drop on a corner at the junction of three intersecting edges; and
(ii) A compressive load as specified in § 178.606(c) of this subchapter.
(8) The gross mass of the completed package does not exceed 29 kg (64 pounds);
(c) Packages which contain a Class 2 (other than those authorized in paragraph (a) of this section), Division 4.2 (PG I), or Division 4.3 (PG I) material conforming to paragraphs (a)(1) through (10) of this section may be offered for transportation or transported if approved by the Associate Administrator.
(d) Lithium batteries and cells are not eligible for the exceptions provided in this section.
- 49 CFR 173.422 — Additional Requirements for Excepted Packages Containing Class 7 (Radioactive) Materials.
- 49 CFR 173.423 — Requirements for Multiple Hazard Limited Quantity Class 7 (Radioactive) Materials.
- 49 CFR 173.27 — General Requirements for Transportation by Aircraft.
- 49 CFR 172.102 — Special Provisions.
- 49 CFR 173.25 — Authorized Packagings and Overpacks.
- 49 CFR 172.500 — Applicability of Placarding Requirements.
- 49 CFR 173.161 — Chemical Kits and First Aid Kits.
- 49 CFR 173.165 — Polyester Resin Kits.
- 49 CFR 172.402 — Additional Labeling Requirements.