9 CFR 381.172 - Requirements for substitute standardized poultry products named by use of an expressed nutrient content claim and a standardized term.
(a)Description. The poultry products prescribed by this general definition and standard of identity are those products that substitute, in accordance with § 381.413(d), for a standardized product defined in this subpart and use the name of that standardized product in their statements of identity, but that do not comply with the established standard because of a compositional deviation that results from reduction of a constituent that is described by an expressed nutrient content claim that has been defined by regulation in this subpart. The expressed nutrient content claim shall comply with the requirements of § 381.413 and with the requirements in subpart Y of this part which define the particular nutrient content claim that is used. The poultry product shall comply with the relevant standard in this part in all other respects, except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section.
(b)Performance characteristics. The performance characteristics, such as physical properties, functional properties, and shelf-life, of the poultry product shall be similar to those of the standardized poultry product produced under subpart P of this part. If there is a significant difference in a performance characteristic that materially limits the use of the product compared to the use of the standardized product defined in subpart P of this part, the label shall include a statement in accordance with § 381.413(d)(1) and (2) of this part, that informs the consumer of such differences (e.g., if appropriate, “not recommended for frozen storage” or “not suitable for roller grilling”). Deviations from the ingredient provisions of the standard must be the minimum necessary to qualify for the nutrient content claim, while maintaining similar performance characteristics.
(c)Ingredients used in substitute products.
(1) Ingredients used in the product shall be those ingredients provided for in the standard as defined in subpart P of this part, except that safe and suitable ingredients permitted for use in poultry products as provided in a regulation permitting that use in this subchapter or in 9 CFR Chapter III, Subchapter E, or in 21 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter A or Subchapter B, may be used at the minimum level necessary to improve texture and prevent syneresis, so that the substitute product is not inferior in performance characteristics from the standardized product defined in subpart P of this part for which it is a substitute.
(2) An ingredient that is specifically required by the standard prescribed in subpart P of this part shall not be replaced or exchanged with a similar ingredient from another source, for example, extruded turnips shall not replace noodles in poultry with noodles.
(5) Water and fat-replacers (e.g., binders), in combination, may be added to replace fat in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section.
(6) Textured vegetable protein may be used by itself or in combination with other binders and water as a fat replacer in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section.
(d)Nomenclature. The name of a substitute poultry product that complies with this section is the appropriate expressed nutrient content claim and the applicable standardized term.
(2) Ingredients not provided for, and ingredients used in excess of those levels provided for, by the standard as defined in subpart P of this part, shall be identified as such with an asterisk in the ingredients statement. The statement “*Ingredients not in regular _____” (the blank shall be filled in with the name of the traditional standardized product) or “**Ingredients in excess of amounts permitted in regular _____” (the blank shall be filled in with the name of the traditional standardized product), or both, as appropriate, shall immediately follow the ingredients statement in the same type and size.
Title 9 published on 2015-12-04
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 9 CFR Part 381 after this date.