42 CFR 457.10 - Definitions and use of terms.
For purposes of this part the following definitions apply:
Actuarially sound principles means generally accepted actuarial principles and practices that are applied to determine aggregate utilization patterns, are appropriate for the population and services to be covered, and have been certified by actuaries who meet the qualification standards established by the Actuarial Standards Board.
Advanced payments of the premium tax credit (APTC) has the meaning given the term in 45 CFR 155.20.
Affordable Insurance Exchange (Exchange) has the meaning given the term “Exchange” in 45 CFR 155.20.
American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) means -
(1) A member of a Federally recognized Indian tribe, band, or group;
(3) A person who is considered by the Secretary of the Interior to be an Indian for any purpose.
Applicant means a child who has filed an application (or who has an application filed on their behalf) for health benefits coverage through the Children's Health Insurance Program. A child is an applicant until the child receives coverage through CHIP.
Application means the single, streamlined application form that is used by the State in accordance with § 435.907(b) of this chapter and 45 CFR 155.405 for individuals to apply for coverage for all insurance affordability programs.
Child means an individual under the age of 19 including the period from conception to birth.
Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) means a program established and administered by a State, jointly funded with the Federal government, to provide child health assistance to uninsured, low-income children through a separate child health program, a Medicaid expansion program, or a combination program.
Comprehensive risk contract means a risk contract between the State and an MCO that covers comprehensive services, that is, inpatient hospital services and any of the following services, or any three or more of the following services:
(1) Outpatient hospital services.
(2) Rural health clinic services.
(3) Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) services.
(4) Other laboratory and X-ray services.
(5) Nursing facility (NF) services.
(6) Early and periodic screening, diagnostic, and treatment (EPSDT) services.
(7) Family planning services.
(8) Physician services.
(9) Home health services.
Cost sharing means premium charges, enrollment fees, deductibles, coinsurance, copayments, or other similar fees that the enrollee has responsibility for paying.
Creditable health coverage has the meaning given the term “creditable coverage” at 45 CFR 146.113 and includes coverage that meets the requirements of § 457.410 and is provided to a targeted low-income child.
Electronic account means an electronic file that includes all information collected and generated by the State regarding each individual's CHIP eligibility and enrollment, including all documentation required under § 457.380 of this part.
Emergency medical condition means a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that a prudent layperson, with an average knowledge of health and medicine, could reasonably expect the absence of immediate medical attention to result in -
(1) Serious jeopardy to the health of the individual or, in the case of a pregnant woman, the health of a woman or her unborn child;
(2) Serious impairment of bodily function; or
(3) Serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.
Emergency services means health care services that are -
External quality review (EQR) means the analysis and evaluation by an EQRO, of aggregated information on quality, timeliness, and access to the health care services that an MCO, PIHP, or PAHP, or their contractors furnish to CHIP beneficiaries.
External quality review organization (EQRO) means an organization that meets the competence and independence requirements set forth in § 438.354 of this chapter, and holds a contract with a State to perform external quality review, other EQR-related activities as set forth in § 438.358 of this chapter, or both.
Federal fiscal year starts on the first day of October each year and ends on the last day of the following September.
Fee-for-service entity means any individual or entity that furnishes services under the program on a fee-for-service basis, including health insurance services.
Group health insurance coverage has the meaning assigned at 45 CFR 144.103.
Group health plan has the meaning assigned at 45 CFR 144.103.
Health care services means any of the services, devices, supplies, therapies, or other items listed in § 457.402.
Health insurance coverage has the meaning assigned at 45 CFR 144.103.
Health insurance issuer has the meaning assigned at 45 CFR 144.103.
Health maintenance organization (HMO) plan has the meaning assigned at § 457.420.
Health services initiatives means activities that protect the public health, protect the health of individuals, improve or promote a State's capacity to deliver public health services, or strengthen the human and material resources necessary to accomplish public health goals relating to improving the health of children (including targeted low-income children and other low-income children).
Household income is defined as provided in § 435.603(d) of this chapter.
Insurance affordability program is defined as provided in § 435.4 of this chapter.
Joint application has the meaning assigned at § 457.301.
Managed care entity (MCE) means an entity that enters into a contract to provide services in a managed care delivery system, including but not limited to managed care organizations, prepaid health plans, and primary care case managers.
(1) A Federally qualified HMO that meets the requirements of subpart I of part 489 of this chapter; or
(2) Makes the services it provides to its CHIP enrollees as accessible (in terms of timeliness, amount, duration, and scope) as those services are to other CHIP beneficiaries within the area served by the entity and
(3) Meets the solvency standards of § 438.116 of this chapter.
Optional targeted low-income child has the meaning assigned at § 435.4 (for States) and § 436.3 (for Territories) of this chapter.
Period of presumptive eligibility has the meaning assigned at § 457.301.
Preexisting condition exclusion has the meaning assigned at 45 CFR 144.103.
Premium assistance program means a component of a separate child health program, approved under the State plan, under which a State pays part or all of the premiums for a CHIP enrollee or enrollees' group health insurance coverage or coverage under a group health plan.
Premium Lock-Out is defined as a State-specified period of time not to exceed 90 days that a CHIP eligible child who has an unpaid premium or enrollment fee (as applicable) will not be permitted to reenroll for coverage in CHIP. Premium lock-out periods are not applicable to children who have paid outstanding premiums or enrollment fees.
Prepaid ambulatory health plan (PAHP) means an entity that -
(3) Does not have a comprehensive risk contract.
Prepaid inpatient health plan (PIHP) means an entity that -
(3) Does not have a comprehensive risk contract.
Presumptive income standard has the meaning assigned at § 457.301.
Primary care case management means a system under which:
Primary care case management entity (PCCM entity) means an organization that provides any of the following functions, in addition to primary care case management services, for the State:
(1) Provision of intensive telephonic or face-to-face case management, including operation of a nurse triage advice line.
(2) Development of enrollee care plans.
(3) Execution of contracts with and/or oversight responsibilities for the activities of fee-for-service providers in the fee-for-service program.
(5) Provision of enrollee outreach and education activities.
(6) Operation of a customer service call center.
(8) Implementation of quality improvement activities including administering enrollee satisfaction surveys or collecting data necessary for performance measurement of providers.
(9) Coordination with behavioral health systems/providers.
(10) Coordination with long-term services and supports systems/providers.
(1) A physician assistant.
(2) A nurse practitioner.
(3) A certified nurse-midwife.
Provider means any individual or entity that is engaged in the delivery of services, or ordering or referring for those services, and is legally authorized to do so by the State in which it delivers the services.
Public agency has the meaning assigned in § 457.301.
Qualified entity has the meaning assigned at § 457.301.
Risk contract means a contract under which the contractor -
(1) Assumes risk for the cost of the services covered under the contract.
Secure electronic interface is defined as provided in § 435.4 of this chapter.
Separate child health program means a program under which a State receives Federal funding from its title XXI allotment to provide child health assistance through obtaining coverage that meets the requirements of section 2103 of the Act and § 457.402.
Shared eligibility service is defined as provided in § 435.4 of this chapter.
State means all States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands. The Territories are excluded from this definition for purposes of § 457.740.
State health benefits plan has the meaning assigned in § 457.301.
Targeted low-income child has the meaning assigned in § 457.310.
Well-baby and well-child care services means regular or preventive diagnostic and treatment services necessary to ensure the health of babies, children and adolescents as defined by the State. For purposes of cost sharing, the term has the meaning assigned at § 457.520.