9 CFR 381.500 - Exemption from nutrition labeling.
(a) The following poultry products are exempt from nutrition labeling:
(1) Food products produced by small businesses other than the major cuts of single-ingredient, raw poultry products identified in § 381.444 produced by small businesses, provided that the labels for these products bear no nutrition claims or nutrition information, and ground or chopped products described in § 381.401 produced by small businesses that bear a statement of the lean percentage and fat percentage on the label or in labeling in accordance with § 381.462(f), provided that labels or labeling for these products bear no other nutrition claims or nutrition information,
(i) A food product, for purposes of the small business exemption, is defined as a formulation, not including distinct flavors which do not significantly alter the nutritional profile, sold in any size package in commerce.
(ii) For purposes of this paragraph, a small business is any single-plant facility, including a single retail store, or multi-plant company/firm, including a multi-retail store operation that employs 500 or fewer people and produces no more than the following amounts of pounds of the product qualifying the firm for exemption from this subpart:
(A) During the first year of implementation of nutrition labeling, from July 1994 to July 1995, 250,000 pounds or less,
(B) During the second year of implementation of nutrition labeling, from July 1995 to July 1996, 175,000 pounds or less, and
(C) During the third year of implementation and subsequent years thereafter, 100,000 pounds or less.
(iii) For purposes of this paragraph, calculation of the amount of pounds shall be based on the most recent 2-year average of business activity. Where firms have been in business less than 2 years or where products have been produced for less than 2 years, reasonable estimates must indicate that the annual pounds produced will not exceed the amounts specified.
(6) Products intended for export, and
(i) Ready-to-eat products that are packaged or portioned at a retail store or similar retail-type establishment, provided, however, that this exemption does not apply to ready-to-eat ground or chopped poultry products described in § 381.401 that are packaged or portioned at a retail establishment, unless the establishment qualifies for an exemption under (a)(1);
(ii) Multi-ingredient products (e.g. sausage) processed at a retail store or similar retail-type establishment, provided, however, that this exemption does not apply to multi-ingredient ground or chopped poultry products described in § 381.401 that are processed at a retail establishment, unless the establishment qualifies for an exemption under (a)(1); and
(iii) Products that are ground or chopped at an individual customer's request.
(1) Foods represented to be specifically for infants and children less than 2 years of age shall bear nutrition labeling as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, except such labeling shall not include calories from fat, calories from saturated fat, saturated fat, stearic acid, polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, and cholesterol.
(2) Foods represented or purported to be specifically for infants and children less than 4 years of age shall bear nutrition labeling except that:
(i) Such labeling shall not include declarations of percent of Daily Value for total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, total carbohydrate, and dietary fiber;
(ii) Nutrient names and quantitative amounts by weight shall be presented in two separate columns;
(iii) The heading “Percent Daily Value” required in § 381.409(d)(6) shall be placed immediately below the quantitative information by weight for protein;
(iv) The percent of the Daily Value for protein, vitamins, and minerals shall be listed immediately below the heading “Percent Daily Value”; and
(1) Products in packages that have a total surface area available to bear labeling of less than 12 square inches are exempt from nutrition labeling, provided that the labeling for these products bear no nutrition claims or other nutrition information except that this exemption does not apply to the major cuts of single-ingredient, raw poultry products identified in § 381.444. The manufacturer, packer, or distributor shall provide, on the label of packages that qualify for and use this exemption, an address or telephone number that a consumer can use to obtain the required nutrition information (e.g., “For nutrition information call 1-800-123-4567”).
(2) When such products bear nutrition labeling, either voluntarily or because nutrition claims or other nutrition information is provided, all required information shall be in a type size no smaller than 6 point or all upper case type of 1/16-inch minimum height, except that individual serving-size packages of poultry products that have a total area available to bear labeling of 3 square inches or less may provide all required information in a type size no smaller than 1/32-inch minimum height.
- 9 CFR 381.401 — Required Nutrition Labeling of Ground or Chopped Poultry Products.
- 9 CFR 381.413 — Nutrient Content Claims; General Principles.
- 9 CFR 381.445 — Nutrition Labeling of Single-Ingredient, Raw Poultry Products That Are Not Ground or Chopped Products Described in § 381.401.
- 9 CFR 381.400 — Nutrition Labeling of Poultry Products.