308-56A-010 - Title purpose only and no title issued

308-56A-010. Title purpose only and no title issued

(1) May I obtain a certificate of ownership for my vehicle even if I do not want or need to register it? You may obtain a certificate of ownership for your vehicle without a certificate of registration for:

(a) Vehicles defined in chapter 46.04 RCW and which are normally registered under chapter 46.16 RCW but will not be operated on the public highways;

(b) Farm tractors or farm equipment as defined in RCW 46.04.180 and 46.04.181;

(c) Off-road vehicles (ORV) as defined in RCW 46.09.020 whether or not required to obtain an ORV use permit;

(d) Golf carts;

(e) Dune buggies whether or not equipped for legal highway use;

(f) Off highway equipment that may be moved upon public highways under authority of special permits.

(2) If I obtain a certificate of ownership for title purpose only (TPO), may I register my vehicle at a later date? A vehicle which qualifies for road use may be registered for use on the public highways in accordance with chapter 46.16 RCW.

(3) May I register my vehicle without obtaining a certificate of ownership? Your vehicle may be registered when certain conditions prevent a Washington certificate of ownership from being issued, such as:

(a) A secured party will not surrender an out-of-state certificate of ownership; or

(b) Registration is required in Washington state and certificate of ownership and registration are required by another state.

(c) Ownership in doubt (registration only) under WAC 308-56A-210.

(d) Registration of a snowmobile under chapter 46.09 RCW.

(e) Dual use motorcycles (CYC) use class, may be titled and registered using one use class (CYC) and also can be registered as an off-road vehicle (ORV) or titling using (ORV) use class and registered under the CYC use class.

Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110 and 46.12.101. 00-20-065, § 308-56A-010, filed 10/3/00, effective 11/3/00; 98-12-099, § 308-56A-010, filed 6/3/98, effective 7/4/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110. 92-15-024, § 308-56A-010, filed 7/6/92, effective 8/6/92; Order MV 208, § 308-56A-010, filed 7/31/74.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.