308-56A-310 - Personal property lien - Chattel

308-56A-310. Personal property lien - Chattel

(1) What is a chattel lien? For the purposes of this section a chattel lien is a process by which a person may sell or take ownership of a vehicle when:

(a) They provide services or materials for a vehicle at the request of the registered owner; and

(b) The person who provided the services and/or materials has not been compensated.

(2) What documents are required to obtain a certificate of ownership for a vehicle? The required documents include:

(a) A completed Vehicle/Vessel Chattel Lien Sale Affidavit form provided or approved by the department; and

(b) A certified copy of the lien filing that is filed with the county auditor; and

(c) A copy of the letter(s) sent by the lien applicant via first class mail, and certified or registered mail, to the registered and legal owners of record, including the return receipt; and

(d) Affidavit of service by mail; and

(e) Application for certificate of ownership; and

(f) Other documents that may be required by law or rule.

(3) When is a Washington court order required to issue a certificate of ownership as a result of a chattel lien? A Washington court order is required when:

(a) Someone other than the owner of record requested the services and/or materials; or

(b) There is no record of the vehicle on file with the department.

(4) What laws regulate chattel liens?Chapter 60.08 RCW regulates chattel liens.

Statutory Authority: RCW 88.020 [88.02.070], 88.02.100. 07-03-128, § 308-56A-310, filed 1/23/07, effective 2/23/07. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110. 06-17-145, § 308-56A-310, filed 8/22/06, effective 9/22/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 88.02.070 and 88.02.100. 01-21-071, § 308-56A-310, filed 10/18/01, effective 11/18/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110, 88.02.070 and 88.02, 100 [88.02.100]. 01-08-022, § 308-56A-310, filed 3/27/01, effective 4/27/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110 and 46.12.101. 99-13-150, § 308-56A-310, filed 6/21/99, effective 7/22/99; Order MV 208, § 308-56A-310, filed 7/31/74.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.