495E-280-015 - Definitions
For the purposes of this policy, the following definitions of terms apply:
(1) "Student" means any individual who is or has been in attendance at Renton Technical College and regarding whom the college maintains education records.
(2) "Education records" are those records, files, and documents (in handwriting, print, tape, film, microfiche, or other medium) maintained by Renton Technical College which contain information directly related to an individual student. Education records include the following:
(a) Records pertaining to admission, advisement, registration, grading, and progress toward a degree that are maintained by the registrar.
(b) Testing information used for advisement purposes by the counseling center.
(c) Information concerning payment of fees as maintained by the registrar.
(d) Financial aid information as collected by the financial aid office.
(e) Information regarding students participating in student government that is maintained by the student programs office.
(3) "Directory information" means the student's name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, eligibility for and participation in officially recognized activities and organizations, dates of attendance, honor roll, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.
(4) "Written consent" means a written authorization for disclosure of student education records which:
(a) Is signed and dated;
(b) Specifies the records to be disclosed; and
(c) Specifies to whom disclosure is authorized.
(5) "Personally identifiable" means data or information which includes: The name of the student, the student's parent(s) or other family member; a personal identifier such as the student's Social Security number or student number; or personal characteristics or other information which would make the student's identity easily traceable.
The following state regulations pages link to this page.