Nev. Admin. Code § 446.174 - Potentially hazardous food time/temperature control for safety food: Thawing
Current through August 4, 2021
NRS 439.200, 446.940
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
NAC 446.174 Potentially hazardous food (time/temperature control for safety food): Thawing. (NRS 439.200, 446.940)
1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, potentially hazardous food (time/temperature control for safety food) must be thawed using one of the following methods:
(a) Under refrigeration which maintains the food temperature at 41°F (5°C) or below, or at 45°F (7.2°C) or below, as specified in this chapter.
(b) Completely submerged under running water at a water temperature of 70°F (21.1°C) or below and with sufficient water velocity to agitate and float off loose particles in an overflow and:
(1) If the food is ready-to-eat food, for a period of time that does not allow thawed portions of the food to rise above 41°F (5°C) or 45°F (7.2°C); or
(2) If the food is raw animal food, for a period of time that does not allow thawed portions of the food requiring cooking to be above 41°F (5°C) for more than 4 hours, including:
(I) The time the food is exposed to the running water and the time needed for preparation for cooking; or
(II) The time it takes under refrigeration to lower the food temperature to 41°F (5°C) or 45°F (7.2°C).
(c) As part of a cooking process if the food that is frozen is:
(1) Cooked as specified in this chapter; or
(2) Thawed in a microwave oven and immediately transferred to conventional cooking equipment, with no interruption in the process.
2. Potentially hazardous food (time/temperature control for safety food) may be thawed using any procedure if a portion of frozen, ready-to-eat food is thawed and prepared for immediate service in response to an individual consumer’s order.
(Added to NAC by Bd. of Health by R069-10, eff. 12-18-2013)